To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Description Summary
The Public Relations Manager helps to increase public awareness and understanding of Michigan Technological University by developing and promoting stories that demonstrate and advance the University’s mission and values. The Public Relations Manager coordinates general and breaking news coverage with other writers and the communications team; writes news releases, statements, campus communications, and magazine stories; and provides media relations services.
This position reports to the Director of Strategic Communications within University Marketing and Communications (UMC).
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
● Develop strategic plans with target objectives for earning story placements in local, regional, and national media outlets. ● Update and maintain various means of tracking and reporting earned media goals and objectives. ● Provide media training and support for faculty, staff, and administrators as needed. ● Draft media statements for UMC leadership. ● Draft internal communications (including email, web copy, and text messages) directed to employees and University stakeholders. ● Develop and maintain relationships with local, regional, and national news media, and advise UMC leadership on media relations issues. ● Research and write general and breaking news stories for the MTU News website and for placement in print and online publications. ● Send out media alerts as needed. ● Pitch stories to local, regional, and national news media. ● Identify opportunities to proactively pitch brand and other University stories as appropriate. ● Respond to media questions and requests. ● Develop content for Michigan Tech Magazine. ● Post news stories, images, and multimedia files to the content management system. ● Consult as necessary with the Director of Strategic Communications on media alerts, story pitches, and media questions and requests. ● Help develop and maintain targeted media lists using UMC’s media database. ● Update and maintain electronic news distribution channels. ● Help identify and profile faculty experts. ● Coordinate the gathering, categorizing, and reporting of news clips from various media. ● Participate in the UMC Incident Command Team and other crisis communications. ● Edit and proofread UMC publications as requested. ● Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work; actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives. ● Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work. ● Other writing, editing, and media relations duties as requested.
Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives. **
● Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communication, marketing, English, journalism, or a related field, received from an appropriately accredited college or university.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
● At least two (2) years of experience in public relations, journalism, marketing, or copywriting/editorial
Desirable Education and/or Experience
● Three (3) or more years of experience in public relations, journalism, marketing, or copywriting/editorial. ● Experience in developing, implementing, and measuring external and internal media-based communication plans. ● Experience in developing talking points and media statements. ● Experience working with Muck Rack or a similar media database.
● Ability to formulate public relations plans and strategies. ● Excellent writing skills demonstrated through a submitted writing sample. ● Ability to adhere to brand and editorial style and guidelines. ● Exceptional relationship building, collaboration, and interpersonal skills. ● Proficiency in Google Workspace and MS Office suites. ● Composed and professional in stressful situations, including emergency situations. ● Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
Insert Safety Language. **
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
● Ability to generate image and video content for social media. ● Knowledge and understanding of social media platforms and their participants, including Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and X. ● Experience writing content for social media platforms and an understanding of how the platforms are unique from each other. ● Familiarity with Adobe suite.
Demonstrated success in, or potential future contributions to, working with persons from diverse backgrounds, creating a sense of belonging, and fostering a fair, objective, welcoming place to work for persons with a wide variety of personal characteristics and viewpoints. **
Language, Mathematics and/or Reasoning Skills
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
Annual Title IX Training
Required Departmental Training:
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Other Conditions of Employment:
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. Visa sponsorship is unavailable at this time. This is not an E-Verified Position.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities
Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) % (1=100%)
Negotiable, Based on Experience
Title of Position Supervisor
Director of Strategic Communications, University Marketing and Communications
Internal and External
Dependent on Funding
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
Our scope is international. Our approach interdisciplinary. We work at the intersections of communication, composition, literature, modern languages, philosophy, rhetoric, visual studies, linguistics, gender studies, and technical communication. Our students develop the communicative, analytic, and cultural knowledge to thrive in all aspects of their future lives.Applications from women and BIPOC scholars are highly encouraged by both the department and the institution. Michigan Tech is building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from all individuals.